Our special steels for structural and civil engineering
With a focus on lightweight components, the innovative Bainidur 1300 makes it possible to manufacture sophisticated forgings even more cost-efficiently. The bainitic material can be processed without distortion and with little machining allowance, which saves costly process steps.
For the manufacturer, the use of Bainidur 1300 means: parts production without additional quenching and tempering and without the risk of distortion in consistently high quality. And this also applies to large format parts up to 60 mm round.
Wide Bainit range reduce testing effort of manufactured parts
The Bainidur 1300 permits a large process window with regard to the temperature control during forging and cooling. The bainitic microstructure and properties of the component can be reliably adjusted, reducing the testing effort on manufactured parts.
Bainidur 1300 is the ideal solution for highly stressed parts and at the same time significantly reduces the use of materials compared to conventional steel at comparable load values.
Advantages of Bainidur 1300 at a glance
- No additional tempering necessary
- No risk of distortion
- Constant high quality level of manufactured parts
- Strength of 1,200 MPa, can be increased on request
- Very good machinability and nitridability
- Good notch impact strength
Deutsche Edelstahlwerke's product portfolio provides the automotive industry with a wide range of steels in all material groups (engineering steel, tool steel and stainless, acid and heat-resistant (RSH) steel) for a various applications.
Deutsche Edelstahlwerke also offers materials with improved material properties through innovative processes.
Advantages of Bainidur 7980 CN at a glanc
- New Mn-Cr-Mo-V leg. Case hardening and carbonitriding steel
- Bainitic matrix (low warpage)
- High tenacity
- Good carbonitridability
- High heat resistance = Good nitriding properties
- High potential for lightweight construction
- Designed for additive manufacturing (3D printing)
DEW Rapid Cooling + Tempering
Cold forming is a proven process for the production of rotationally symmetrical components. For good formability, case hardening steels are isothermal or spheroidizing-annealed. However, this type of heat treatment is very time-consuming and requires extensive post-treatment.
To ensure that the material condition of the starting material meets the requirements of the processing process and end product, several heat and after-treatments are necessary. To meet the increasing demands, Deutsche Edelstahlwerke and its customers developed a technological alternative to classical heat treatment with significant added value throughout the entire process chain: DEW RC+T. With the temperature-controlled rolling process and subsequent tempering, the classic isothermal or spheroidizing-annealing is replaced. Cold formers save time-consuming process steps and simultaneously optimize the steel properties for increased component quality.
Advantages of RC+T at a glance
- Microstructure is fine-grained and resembles a spheroidizing annealed structure
- Homogeneous hardness profile over the entire cross-section
- Higher formability
- Smooth and score-free surface in rolled condition
- Lower decarburization tendency compared to isothermal annealed material
- Increased output due to reduced scale formation
- Better microstructure structure for further surface treatments